Top Mid-Century Modern Homes for Sale in Northern Virginia
Often categorized as 'contemporary' in real estate listings under Home Style, Mid-Century Modern is a distinct architectural style defined by a design movement. Mid-Century Modern is also recognized as an interior, product and graphic design style that generally describes mid-20th century developments in modern design, architecture and urban development from around 1933 to 1965.
The term was reaffirmed by Cara Greenberg in the title of her book published in 1983, Mid-Century Modern: Furniture of the 1950s. It is now recognized worldwide as a a significant design movement.
Architectural styles that can be considered 'mid-century' would apply to homes that were built during this period, 1930s to 1960s and even into the 1970s. After World War II experimental building technologies and materials like steel and plywood, were used in conjunction with modern architectural elements like flat planes, split levels and extensive use of glass. Homes were designed to invite the outside in and the inside out.
Mid-century designers believed this forward-looking style could be a vehicle for social change to create a better society. Frank Lloyd Wright, who trained mid-century modern architects like Richard Neutra and Rudolph Schindler, was a huge influence.
Characteristics of mid-century modern architecture:
- Flat planes and clean lines. The geometric lines of the house are regular, clean and simple. Flat roofs are common, although some modern ranch-style houses had gable roofs.
- Changes in elevation. Split level spaces are created with small steps going up and down between rooms. There might be partial walls, dividers, a central fireplace or cabinets and built-in bookshelves at different heights to create different depths in the space.
- Large windows. Sliding-glass doors, full walls of windows, vertical sliding windows, sky lights and other expansive panes of glass allow light to enter rooms from multiple directions.
- Integration with nature. Many rooms have multiple outdoor views, or multiple access points, patio space or decks accessible from different levels, all encouraging an appreciation of nature and healthy living.
- Modern interior features. Fixtures, cabinetry and lighting all reflect the mid-century modern design of simplistic product and interior.
True mid-century modern homes are hard to come by in Northern Virginia. With so many newer developments mixed with older traditional homes, the more common styles in this area are Colonial, Rambler and Split Level depending on the town or location. As you get further west from DC Metro toward Haymarket, VA there is a mix of newer homes, older farm houses and traditional estates.
Many contemporary homes, built after 1980 have mid-century influence and other homes have been updated or renovated to also reflect this movement. If you are interested in a mid-century modern or mid-century influenced home in Northern Virginia, The Heritage Real Estate Group can help. We watch the market for these homes and similar contemporary home and can keep you updated on what is out there.
Our Buyer's Specialist would love to take you on a tour of any of these homes!
Here are the Top 20 ~ Plus a Few Extra
Mid-Century Modern Homes for Sale in Northern Virginia region....
Updated as of 6/23/2022
Please Note: Some of these home will go fast. Get on our mailing list below or contact The Heritage Real Estate Group for the most recently listed or COMING SOON mid-century modern listings.
Get on our Mid-Century Modern Home Listing Alert
Once we know your home search criteria, we will notify you when a mid-century or modern home comes on the market in the Northern Virginia area. If you are interested, we'll schedule an appointment.